Sunday, November 21, 2010

Gabriel's recap!


Some of you might remember, few weeks back I had a really bad melt down about not being able to put Gabriel in a better school.
If you don't remember, you can read all about it in here.

A lot has happened since that day, a real roller coasters of things going well and then go sour again and then ok for a little bit and so on...you know how it goes.

The school where Gabriel is going now finally hired a permanent teacher, we talked to her and she seems nice but unfortunately has no clue whatsoever on how to deal with kids with autism.
I tried to gently give suggestions and she graciously put them to work, but truth being said, I think the school should have its personal qualified for the job. It's not my duty to "train" a teacher to the wonders of autism and it's not Gabriel's to be an experiment in her failures.

So of course we found a better place, an Autism Center very close by, with an amazing program and lots of resources for Gabriel...... and a HUGE price tag.
Now understand: I will pay everything is the world to get Gabriel what he needs, but the reality is that I don't have much to begin with.

Obviously I wasn't happy or proud that I found all that awesome help and wasn't going to get it for him. I was actually kinda of depressed and sad.

But there is something I learned this week and that is help is given to the ones who ask for it. And so I asked.....insurances, grants, scholarship....anything and everything I could think of.

In the meanwhile, the director of the Autism Center called Gabriel in for an evaluation, to see what he will be needing and how they can provide it. She was really impressed by him and told me that she can make things work with the scholarship we'll get.
So that's it! She granted me my Christmas wish few days ago accepting Gabriel to her school!!!!

He will start in January (mind you, in time for his birthday) and he cannot wait. Couldn't stop jumping up and down for the joy when we told him.

So, this is our story, with a new chapter starting January 2011 that I'm sure will end with a fully recovered Gabriel, that one day will grow up and will be able to see that we did anything we could to help him out.

It's all I was asking for this year for Christmas: I got my miracle and I hope you'll get yours :)

post signature

1 comments:

Adaptable Kay said...

That is seriously amazing Lu-You don't know how happy I am for you and Gabriel and your whole family :)

Sometimes, when you will something hard enough and you stay positive, the universe answers your prayers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...